Feels Like the First Time (probably because it was)Jan 02, 2014
Today Merv and I lost our RNRO co-hosting virginity, and RNRO lost it's innocence, so we chose a fitting theme to celebrate. They say there's a first time for everything and today was our first time curiating your breakfast; for anyone who chose to eat said breakfast between 8:30 and 9, this was your soundtrack.
- Nothing says first time the same way Meatloaf says first time. Our first song on our first time mix was from that man himself. It was Meatloaf's Paradise by Dashboard Lights, and it was 8 minutes and 29 seconds of pure pleasure comprable only to, while you know, it's the theme... and you know what makes it better, we played it on vinyl.
- Foreigner's Feels like the First Time was the second groove we played on Theme Thursday. While you get a little taste of this 1977 track every time you see one of those e-cig commercials, we took you home with the whole thing.
- Off of Madanna's newly release best hits collection: The Immaculate Collection (that pun made me a Madonna fan), we busted out Like a Virgin to really get the point across.
- Trends come and go, but diamonds are forever. Despite trends and diamonds, Prince is also forever. The artist formally known as "the artist formally known as Prince" is still the coolest of the cool, and his song Raspberry Beret holds its throne, achieved in 1985, as one of the greatest first time songs.
- Our fifth and final song for Theme Thursday was by The Smiths, How Soon is Now, a 1985 B-Side from their single, William, it was Really Nothing. The Smiths prooved again that last is not least and Morrissey, for all he is, prooved that he has the pipes to hit a home run on a great song about first times.
Abe & Merv